Thursday, April 12, 2007

First Cliches


In the car today, 4 year old J says to me "Daddy, the wind is blowing the grass and it looks like waves!" Of course I was about to lecture her on the inability of people to "hear" dead language like the too-obvious "waves of grass," but before I could make my point clear she burst in with "Daddy, when I grow up, I want to be a rock star!"

Her first two cliches within a single minute. I was almost proud. But more concerned. I want her to be an oil-painting, fiddle-playing, clogging, documentary filmmaker.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

She certainly looks like a potential rock star! I hope she goes for a classic style, rather than the modern concept of a "rock star" which appears to be whatever schlub American Idol vomits out.

At her age, I wanted to train and care for sea mammals. :D

sarahjane said...

rock star does run a close second to fiddleplaying clogger, though. she's just keeping her options open.

Mr. Hill said...

Good lord, Sarah, did you see that Carter Family show on PBS the other day? Heartbreaking stuff. I've been meaning to ask you that and if you have a recording of Single Girl/Married Girl.

sarahjane said...

no, we missed the carter family show. we're out of touch with tv goings on (unless it's sports, for wes). maybe it'll rerun?! i don't believe i've ever heard single girl/married girl. i'll check it out right now.

Kristina said...

Aww, but rock star is so much more practical. And at least you're assured that her taste in music is top notch. :-)