Saturday, April 03, 2010

In the interest of taking credit for every single one of my kids' accomplishments, I can't help but note the influence of Tu Fu, whom we have been reading in Kenneth Rexroth's 100 Poems from the Chinese, on her recent writing. Here is Tu Fu:

Rain

Roads not yet glistening, rain slight,

Broken clouds darken after thinning away.
Where they drift, purple cliffs blacken.
And beyond -- white birds blaze in flight.

Sounds of cold-river rain grown familiar,
Autumn sun casts moist shadows. Below
Our brushwood gate, out to dry at the village
Mill: hulled rice, half-wet and fragrant

And here is one of June's, from the "poem book" she has been typing into the computer lately. It's nice:

The breeze and the wind brushed through my
hear as I fly a red kite.
The fall air is cold but I’m worm
in side.

I think June's compares well, considering that Tu Fu had a 1000+ year head start.

4 comments:

Dawn Potter said...

I'm glad to know she's optimistic about being worm inside.

Mr. Hill said...

yes, she's quite sanguine about it.

Unknown said...

You haven't been reading her the Dune books, have you?

Mr. Hill said...

Oh . . I just got that reference, D. Ha, no, I will let her choose her own path when it comes to science fiction.