Sunday, February 25, 2007

It has to be "the 0ughts"

We still have a couple of years before we have to decide this, but at the end of the decade, people are going to start referring to the past ten years as "the [something]s." To my knowledge, there is still no broadly accepted term in vogue, so I am going to suggest one: "the 0ughts."

Now, what you can't see in this font is that the "O" in "0ughts" is not an "O" but a zero! That's where the cleverness comes in! What's so wonderful about this name is the way it takes the authenticity of the old-timey word "oughts"--as in "pass me my thirty-ought-six" (which is a kind of gun, I think) and blends it with the endearingly annoying novelty of "'Leet Speak" by using a number(!) in the spelling. Old and new. Hi and low. I can't wait for 2010 now.

3 comments:

zzzzz said...

Not to dampen your thunder, but the zero has one less pixel in the top and bottom lines that form the character than the "O." This could just be the browser settings on my computer changing the font or even the version of the font I have. Nonetheless, I will include in my lexicon to refer to these days of late as the 7w3n7y-0ugh7s.

Mr. Hill said...

Oh, I like that even better. I'll start saying that too and we'll see if it catches on.

R. said...

Should be nothing but a "revolutionary" good time.