Saturday, May 10, 2008

I Want to Believe

Goodness. I just scored four tickets to see MBV in Chicago this September. Could this be the biggest show in the history of the world? Yes, I think it could.

Back when I spent a semester in London, losing 20 lbs because I spent all my money riding the Tube around and seeing bands and none on food except for the occasional fish and chips which always sounded better than it tasted, my only real regret was not getting to see this band. They played like four straight nights before Loveless was released. It was my last few days in town and they all sold out before I could get tickets.

Since then, Loveless re-wired my brain in some way. It's my most immediate connection to the sublime. It's times like this that I wish I didn't traffic in hyperbole so frequently because it has dulled my ability to express how much I love the really significant stuff.

What's kind of cool is that technology has maybe progressed enough that they will be able to get the live experience closer to what they did in the studio so that Shields doesn't feel the need to just crank up the volume and kill us all with decibels as a plan B.

Never thought this day would come, so I'm kind of excited.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, despite the fact that your estimated sell-out time of "one minute," was a bit off, since tickets are still available and it's 4:30, I'm convinced they will sell out by the end of the weekend.

And I'm prepared to sell my two extras for a thousand times face value. No honor among scalpers. Gotta pay for that trip to Chicago somehow.

Mr. Hill said...

Ahh, but I didn't say *which* minute.

R. said...

I've been a bit late to the My Bloody Valentine party. Then again, I was also late to the Joy Division get-together but seemingly, better late than never sufficed.

Lindsay Wesner said...

I can't wait to waste all my college money going to concerts in London...so many good bands to choose from. Hopefully they're all on tour when I go there. Thank goodness for good british rock tunes. And how can you not like fish and chips my friend? Sorry, that was a rhetorical question...are you delusional?

Mr. Hill said...

Aw, I love the fish & chips . . . but the shops there can be a little dodgy, as they say. Greasy, wrapped in newspaper. The idea was always a little better than the reality.

But still, I'd kill for some right now.

Hmmm? said...

BTW, I've read 13 books since January--I'm winning. And I'm almost finished with Mere Christianity. Score one for Lindsey.

Mr. Hill said...

Dang. I need the summer to start so I can try to catch up.

Hmmm? said...

I'm switching my focus over the summer to writing. I have a couple ideas for some short stories and an outline for a novella type thing. I figure that I should start the rough draft now while I have the inspiration and then go back and edit them as I learn more during college.

Lindsay Wesner said...

fish and chips are topped only by kababs fyi...have you heard of the kooks...don't know if anna or i told you we were going to see them this summer-their from the uk and they is amazing times ten million