Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Is this dog deaf?


The Smokey, with pile of sticks.

So I tell my wife by email this morning that she has been right all along: The Smokey is deaf. I confirmed it last night by using the "treat test" on her, yelling "wanna treat?" pretty loudly but while standing out of her sight. She had no clue.

I was only a little sad about it at first except when I would work myself up by saying "now she can never hear her masters' voices again." I told my 5 year old about my fears and she says "It's okay, Dad. You can just use sign language to talk to her."

So after school today, I come home and try the "treat test," and Smokey gets up and looks at me all excited--the expected treat response. She passed the test! So now I don't know what to think. I guess I'll just go on thinking what I usually do: she is old and will die sooner than I think so love her while I can. You have to have a little death at hand to love something the way it deserves. She's barking to get in now. I will demonstrate my love for her by not making her wait.

God, that dog is annoying. In and out all day long.

IN OTHER NEWS, Monkesquirrel endorses Voting over Not Voting. What a fun day to be a Hoosier. We've got all the attention for once, and it matters. All I will say here is that I changed my vote at the last second, while standing at the machine. Not an experience I am accustomed to.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Nathan endorses Not Voting over Voting.

Does this mean you cast your lots with that Hussein character?

Mr. Hill said...

Aw, I'm not gonna say. Don't want to be alienatin' folks.

Hmmm? said...

:(

Mr. Hill said...

Now, don't be jumping to conclusions--I had been changing my mind back and forth the last couple of days.

Mindstroller said...

Flip Flopper eh? Ah well it happens to the best of us. Better to be unsure than to be adamant about something thats wrong, IMHO.

Our dog is starting to get to the fall of her life, which is sad, but weve still got several good years left with her. Hope you let your dog go on good terms.

On a related note, have you read "marley and me?" it's a fantastic book, and it makes one love dogs even more than before.

LetsGoThrow said...

Yes! We can be friends still!

Mr. Hill said...

Yes, voting in my self-interest again, for friends.

sarahjane said...

And just when I thought you were going to be the lone (Clinton) ranger. Whatever that means.

Mindstroller said...

wouldn't the lone clinton ranger be bill in cowboy form?

I'd like to see what Cormac McCarthy could do with that...

Hmmm? said...

My puppy has arthritis--he can hardly stand up anymore and he is only 8 years old.

Mr. Hill said...

I give our dog these glucosamine pills that are like $80 a bottle and I think it has helped her arthritis some. Who knows, though.