Friday, November 30, 2007

Lost

The interweb sure seems to get more funner to play in whenever you have serious work to do. And I just remembered I've been meaning to look up Daft Punk videos on YouTube. The new Readymade has the names tons of fun shoppes that have gifts you want to get people or want them to get for you. And it might snow tomorrow. Just too many distractions for me to sit still and write about the influence of painting on Mark Strand or maybe Frank O'Hara or why not both or maybe that's just a dumb thesis entirely.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I recommend not going too deep into the web. You may one day find yourself still surfing late into the night, two hours after you had initially planned to go to bed/stop procrastinating.

By the way, I just noticed that you have American Born Chinese on your book list. After reading that, I must say that it falls well short of the hype. Most of it is good, but the climax comes with a huge jolt, and it ends pretty awkwardly. It's a bit like running into a brick wall and then, staggering, not sure what just happened, falling to the ground. As if that wasn't bad enough, it repeatedly hits you over the head with the same tired "stay true to yourself" moral. Hmm... running into a wall, staggering, getting hit over the head... I recommend wearing a helmet and avoiding the hardcover version to reduce the risk of traumatic brain injury.

Mr. Hill said...

I agree with you on both counts here. To get work done in my office lately, I've started turning my modem off completely, and that's helped.

And my reaction to American Born Chinese mirrored the "meh" way I feel about a lot of graphic novels. I still read a fair number of them because they are fun to look at and easy to read, but there are only a few that I feel were worth the time. "Safe Area Gorazde" was one, "Persepolis," "Maus"--mainly the obvious ones, I guess. "The Watchmen" and "The Dark Night Returns" are great, too, on the comics side of things.