Friday, May 15, 2009

Dude, The Road trailer is out.  How did I not know this?  I don't know how this happened without me waking up in the middle of the night, distressed, with Catherine saying "what's wrong, honey?" and me responding "It's here.  On Youtube."  



Like most movies, the anticipation might be the sweetest part here, so I plan to make the most of it.  Maybe I will do so by preparing for some possible apocalypse in our lifetime, setting aside a thermos of drinking water, matches, and a copy of The Road as a kind of reference book. 

In fact, the majority of this emergency cache should be books, because the best thing about an apocalypse is that if you survive the initial firestorm, zombies, mutants, and search for a can-opener, you will have a lot of time to read.  It's the hunter-gatherer societies that have the most leisure time, after all. 

12 comments:

Unknown said...

This seems like the movie that we should really geek out for. Dress up in costume, go to the midnight release.

Though, it probably won't have a midnight release and the management will kick us out thinking we're just homeless people.

Zan said...

That's so exciting! I was going to look for that, because Rachel told me it was out. I've decided that if I happen to be up in Michigan at the time, I'm totally coming down just to see this. I'm so pumped, especially after finally buying my own copy of The Road.

Mr. Hill said...

I think I already dress in character for this movie most days. I should really work to change that.

It'll be fun to see how able they are to recreate the experience of the book. Or at least it will be fun to buy a big popcorn and sit there for a couple hours.

LetsGoThrow said...

I'm most looking forward to how they choose to do the ending. Beside you and I, I don't know of anyone else who saw the ending as optimistic about the human condition and it would be a shame if the ending were any different.

Phew! That last paragraph was tough to write because I wanted to go into detail but didn't want to spoil the ending for those that haven't read it. I wish there wa a redacted font on the internets.

Well, I guess I did ruin it; sorry, it has a happy ending.

Mr. Hill said...

Oh, I don't know, to say that the ending is ambiguous doesn't really give much away. Not that it's ambiguous to us, that is.

I hadn't thought about that, though, whether the movie will lean one way or the other.

Anonymous said...

Oh, most likely, it WILL lean THAT way.

But then again, Hillcoat is 1 for 1 so far, so maybe he'll be 2 for 2 after this.

Unknown said...

I didn't think the ending was that ambiguous either, in terms of optimism/pessimism.
I think he makes it pretty clear that there are some things that can survive anything.

That said, this movie will be terrible. Absolute trash. Hype at your own risk.

Anonymous said...

You'll see it.

Kristina said...

It's Viggo Mortensen! It can't be bad.

Mr. Hill said...

oh Kristina . . . you know, it's highly unlikely he will kill a single orc in this movie.

Mindstroller said...

No orcs maybe, but cannibalistic troglodytes? SURE!

Unknown said...

The trailer worries me. The background "music" seems to paint this as a mix between your standard action film and your standard horror film.